Nothing refreshes and melts away stress, like a good steam with herbs and flowers fresh from your garden.
Spearmint, chamomile, echinacea, marigold and hibiscus are not only effective as healing teas but can also be used for a good face steam. Basil, sage, oregano, marjoram, thyme are used more sparingly because of their intense oil content.
Let me share one of my favorite rituals with you:
1) Have an area ready where you are comfortable sitting for 10-15 mins.
2) Place a fairly large shallow container (like a pie dish) onto a flat stable surface.
3) Bring a kettle of water to boil, and place your choice of 4-6 herbs and flowers into the kettle to steep for approx. 5mins.
4) Pour steeped liquid into the shallow dish (leaving at least an inch between the liquid and top rim to prevent any spillage).
5) Sit down and carefully place a large towel over your head to contain all the steam.
6) Inhale the steam for 10-15 mins.
7) When finished, splash cool water onto your face and apply moisturizer.
Steaming has a three-fold benefit; great for the lungs, skin and reduction of stress. Please
exercise usual precaution when using hot water and ideally have uninterrupted time set aside.