Adorning the walls of the popular Papa Cristo’s Greek Restaurant are pictures from the 1948 grand opening of what was then just a simple Greek market.
Sam Chrys opened C & K Importing Company, with the intention of bringing the foods and wines of Greece to Los Angeles. In 1968, Sam’s son and now the current owner, Chrys Chrys, purchased the business from his father to carry on the legacy and continues to import fine products from Greece like meats, seasonings, cheeses, olive oils, and other culturally true products.
In 1985, Chrys wanted to create the feeling of the famous Greek taverna in the middle of the wholesale meat market in Athens. He bought the adjacent property, and opened a small kitchen with 12 seats. Since then he has purchased the 2 buildings on either side and opened a dining room with seating capacity for 100 and a delightful sunny patio/garden. His ability to create old world hospitality, that feeling of welcome and comfort, along with incredibly delicious traditional Greek food, makes Papa Christo’s one of L.A.’s premier Greek restaurants and a favored destination. It’s reputation extends as far as the east coast and Greece itself.